University of Wisconsin–Madison
September 2012 – May 2016
• B.S. Geographic Information Systems and Cartography
University of Winchester
January 2014 – April 2014
• Study Abroad in Hampshire, England
Associate Graphics Editor • National Geographic
April 2017 – Present
• Help produce maps and graphics for National Geographic Magazine, both in print and digitally
• Conduct rigorous production checks
• Edit and repurpose static graphics for desktop and mobile
Story Maps Product Engineer • Esri
September 2016 - April 2017
• Design static and interactive maps
• Research and write compelling narratives
• Help contribute to the development of Esri Story Map templates and platform
Program and Policy Analyst • Wisconsin Department of Corrections
September 2016 - April 2017
• Analyze data and design maps for policy makers to make informed decisions
Story Maps Product Engineer Intern • Esri
June 2016 – August 2016
• Produce Story Maps for Esri and partner organizations
Cartographer • UW–Madison Cartography Lab
April 2015 – May 2016
• Create and design maps for a variety of clients
• Work both individually and collaboratively on projects
• Manage team projects, delegate tasks, and oversee final products
Office Assistant • Hologic, Inc.
May 2014 – October 2014
• Worked in the Quality Assurance department
• Strong attention to detail due to FDA regulated environment
GRAPHICS IN PUBLICATIONS
• Print: Chung, D., Nowakowski, K., Trainor, C. (2018, February). A dollop of sweet science. National Geographic, 22-23.
• Online: Chung, D., Nowakowski, K., Trainor, C. (2018, February). A dollop of sweet science. National Geographic. Retrieved
New York Times
• Print: Khanna, P. (2016, April 17). A new map for America. The New York Times, pp. SR6, SR7.
• Online: Khanna, P. (2016, April 15). A new map for America. The New York Times. Retrieved
Connectography: Mapping the Future of Global Civilization
Khanna, P. (2016). Connectography: Mapping the future of global civilization. New York:
Physical Geography: The Global Environment
Mason, J., Burt, J., Muller, P., & de Blij, H. (2016). Physical geography: the global environment
(Fifth ed.). New York: Oxford University Press.
• Discussing the importance of storytelling and good storytelling practices.
• Teaching a group of individuals how to transform their data and ideas into a powerful story map.
• Talked about client management while working in the UW-Madison Cartography Lab.
• As part of a university class we created a Madison Atlas based on Rebecca Solnit’s Infinite City: A San Francisco Atlas. The presentation discussed the approach to mapping as a collective and how we used cartography to portray disparate experiences of place.
New Scholars Network
• Discussed the process of designing maps for Parag Khanna’s book, Connectography.
Adobe After Effects Leaflet
Mapbox Studio PostgreSQL
Olmstead Achievement in Cartography
Barbara Bartz Petchenik Memorial Award in Cartography Design
Wisconsin Land Information Association Small Format Map Runner-Up
2013, 2014, 2015, 2016